Is there another way?

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I'm not sure this would work, so I'm really asking your opinion.

Could another solution be to use whatever current data layer you have, and wrap it into a COM visible API?

If that's possible, you could use standard SqlClient type connections, and maintain your existing API.

Does that make any sense to you?

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2010 at 1:22 AM

It does, only problem is users would need to register these COM visible assemblies on their machine, in such a case I think all the advantages of Silverlight will be lost in the shadow of all the problems arising with version controls, distribution, updates etc. And if the majority of your clients use these features in your application you would probably be better off with a different technology such as WPF or Windows forms. Maybe if you explain a bit more about the scenario you are facing I might be able to give you some suggestion. Also this project is in a very early development stage, so I would not rely on these wrappers for anything mission critical just yet.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:01 AM

The advantages aren't necessarily gone, since the registration process can be made to be automatically done for the user(see http://jmorrill.hjtcentral.com/Home/tabid/428/EntryId/441/Silverlight-and-Desktop-NET-Integration.aspx).  It does however, require administrator rights to accomplish this neat feature, which could be a problem, depending on the situation.

I have to say that I agree with you, and your method has the least risk, and the greater reward.

I don't have any plans that would use this.  Like everyone else, I'm preparing for a release of SL4 that we can actually "Go Live" with, but until then, we're just seeing where the boundaries are.

I like where you're going, and will keep an eye on this project. 

Thanks!